Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hit the wall: Hard!

My first race of National Championships was one of the worst races of the season for me. In the 10km (3X3.3km) skate race I had a great first lap (6th fastest lap time of the day) but hit the wall hard shortly after. I finished 34th in a field of 126 starters. I was too excited and perhaps wasn't fueled properly before the race. I went out too fast and also didn't have enough simple sugars leading up! I learned that I can't be national champion today, its something I have to build up over the summer and wait till that speed is my ability. I tried to go for it today and payed the prize. My body just didn't respond how i wanted it to. At least I'll never make that mistake again, but it's disappointing it happened at one of the most exciting races of the year...Next race Tuesday!

10 comments:

Anything Place said...

"If you don't succeed, try try again." Many of the best athletes and stars in the world have had to face many setbacks.

If you take the things you found you need to fix, it will make you all the better next time.

Brut said...

Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error!

skinned sheep said...

yup thats how it goes man! :P

ezhealthysnacks said...

Amazing.. I could only dream for the dedication that you have..
+followed

Malkavian said...

Tough luck bro, but keep at it a tough road ahead of you but its worth it.

Unknown said...

good luck on the next one

Jay said...

good effort though, till next Tuesday! :)

BlowingInTheWind said...

You just gotta keep trying, not give up!

Tyr said...

How is running a lot in high altitudes?. I hear that the oxygen levels are lower there and because of that your perfomance is severly affected. Did you take that into account?

Erika said...

Don't give up!