Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Fall Addiction

The abrupt passing of a childhood friend 2 months ago triggered a need for change in my life. Nothing was seriously wrong, in fact everything was great...and that was presenting the precise "issue". I needed a kick in the ass. I had a complaisant attitude setting over each day as I passively slept in, I trained, I ate...but I needed a reminder, a passionate wake up for the value of life and the most important people in it. I celebrated his life on Sept 9 with an event I will never forget...a 332km bike ride which gave me exactly 11:12:53 in my saddle to contemplate whatever subjects, questions, or issues I chose.

I made a commitment during my ride to make monthly lifestyle goals in his memory. His life planted a seed in me and I wanted to find a way to use this opportunity after grieving such a crisis. I have incredibly addictive tendencies that have been present for most of my life, but that has also tested my determination and focus, and ultimately strengthened my character. In the last few months I have stepped away from some increasingly addictive dependencies...but picked up a few more.

One of Merriam-Webster's definitions of addiction is "an unusual great interest in something." So, yes, I am a guilty culprit. My newest addiction?? Take a look...



Truly no better high than taking a day in the most beautiful place on earth: the Canadian Rockies. 


Embrace the weather...



Embrace a friend...



...or two...




...or three...


Keep it simple, just your runners...


 Probably a rain jacket....


Definitely a snack (Egg Mc Muff at the top of Mt Bourgeau 2931m)....


....and never forget to look up...


...to show gratitude...




...and take a break if you need it...



Skip some rocks on an icy lake....



 ...but rule number one in baggin peaks...




Get froggy...


Love what your doing... 


And have fun!






No comments: